Thursday, January 21, 2010

Fly Me to the Moon - Amaretto Squeeze


It's raining cats and dogs. It's cold, it's windy, I mean, it's just plain nasty out. The last thing I want to do is go off to work. And now Frank Sinatra has made an appearance on my ipod, and all I really want to do is put on a flouncy cocktail dress, head to the Starlight Room at the top of the Francis Drake Hotel and be whirled around the dance floor to Frank Sinatra. I'd need a partner though. This could be a problem.

Yep, I'm in need of an old-school night. Cocktails, a good steak, heels, and dancing while dressed up. Very Mad Men.

That would be so much better than work.

Sinatra is one of the reasons I love weddings. People like to dance to Sinatra. It's just the thing to do. And you can do it shamelessly at weddings. Everyone joins in!

But, seeing as I most likely won't be ending up at the Starlight Room tonight, I should probably come up with a back-up plan. That plan will most likely involve my favorite cocktail of all time. Happy Hour anyone?

My sister introduced this cocktail to me years ago. She'd discovered it at one of the McMienamins pubs in Oregon. It's called an Amaretto Squeeze, and it is the most delicious thing. It just makes me happy. It may sound like strange combination, but I'm telling you, it's magic in a glass. The almondy, sweet taste of the Amaretto mixed with the bright sour citrus. It's divine. And it's so pretty! We make them all the time now, especially over the holiday's. It's a pre-dinner requirement. I make a pitcher of freshly squeezed juice, throw it over some ice cubes and top it off with Amaretto. It makes me happy. Maybe I'll put on Sinatra tonight while I drink it. I live in a studio. There's no one else to catch me dancing away!

Amaretto Squeeze
makes 2

1 large grapefruit
1 large orange
1 lime
2 shots Amaretto
ice cubes
rosemary for garnish

Squeeze the grapefruit, orange and lime. Remove the seeds. Pour in a highball glass over ice, add the Amaretto and stir. Serve and repeat!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! I'll try to make it instead of getting it at bars... they never seem to get it right. I'll try to join you in a toast to Sinatra while trying this drink.

    ReplyDelete