Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Well Hello There - Flour + Water on a Saturday Night


Saturday was a good day. A very good day. The morning found Daniel and I gallivanting across the bridge on our way to who knows where? "Where" ended up being Tiburon - quaint little town of gorgeous views and a frustrating lack of parking. We caught a movie and a glimpse of the fleet week spectaculars over the Bay. We then hopped over to the Heath Ceramics outlet in Sausalito, where I proceeded to drool over every item in the store, which at half-price and more off still managed to be devastatingly out of my price range. Oh to be a woman of wealthy means. If that ever were to be the case, I might just move in to the Heath outlet. In any case they would have have the most difficult time getting me out the door.

As luck would have it, Brian answered both my phone call and request for his presence and dinner. Flour + Water has been on our hit list for awhile now, and Saturday was the perfect evening to give it a try. The restaurant opened at 5:30, we arrived at 10 past 5 and there was already a line of at least 10. Our expectations were high, but they were more than well-met. This was one of the best meals I've had in years. The pasta was incredible, rich and perfectly cooked, each flavor stood out. The pizza was a stellar combination of crispy and chewy with black and blistered edges of crust.

Pizza Cavalo Nero - Tuscan Kale, Potato, Crescenza and Speck

It was the kind of meal you never want to end. We did our best to extend it by ordering dessert, something I hardly ever do after a large meal. I could wax poetic for days about Flour + Water, but I think the thing to do is to share Brian's photos from the meal along with the menu description. But please, I cannot be held responsible for your finding yourself trying to lick the screen, or drooling over your keyboard. Best just to go there yourself...



Pumpkin Tortelli with Sage and Toasted Hazelnut


Pappardelle with Braised Duck Leg and Porcini Mushrooms



Chicken Rotolo with Roasted Turnips, Pancetta, Mustard Greens and Walnuts



Pork Chop & Belly with Pumpkin and Vin Santo Glazed Apples
Brian says, "The "pork" came from some hybrid spotted pig/wild boar offspring from Sonoma. It's the new secret weapon against vegetarians and vegans
."

You must hate me now. I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself!

Gorgeous photos courtesy of Brian Scipione, take a look at his flickr photos here!

1 comment:

  1. Yes! Congrats on your Scoby procurement! Let me know if you have any questions on starting the tea. I'm good! It's raining cats and dogs here and I have a whole evening of cooking to do! How are you? Are you coming out to the West Coast?

    ReplyDelete