Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Birthday Tacos - Pork Chops with Mustard-Maple Pan Sauce


This Saturday was the birthday party to end all birthday parties. Lily turned 30, so we celebrated in style, with back-yard karaoke and a honest to goodness taco truck that drove up and parked in the driveway. Let me tell you, the combination of a couple al pastor tacos, some Mack the Knife and birthday cupcakes and beer make for one of the best Saturday night's in recent memory. Thanks for turning 30 Lily! Can we do this again next year?

Sunday was filled with rehearsals, photo shoots and some weekend work tasks. Oh yeah, rehearsal...did I mention that? I'm a sometime-actor on the side, working with a local company that produces in the basement of a pizza parlor. Pizza, beer and couches while you watch theatre (theatre simply doesn't get better than that) and it's a good time. The current show is a comedy, and also a world premiere. So far so good, although the guy I play opposite of spends the entire show nearly naked. A bit distracting, I must say. Not that I'm complaining. Anything for comedy, eh?

Point being? Things are going to get a little crazy around here. And by crazy, I mean busy. From work to rehearsal, it makes for a very full day. Sadly there's not a lot of time for cooking. I'm learning to try and enjoy the boxed Indian lunches (meh, not so much) but I did make it a point to promise my stage manager a batch of cookies on Wednesday. So I'll take some time out tomorrow to bake. After that, cooking will have to wait till the weekend.

So that's how it's going to be for the next few weeks. In the meantime I hope to have some guest posts, lots of weekend dishes and then, there's this deliciousness. I'm telling you, you may feel wary of this sauce, it may not sound appealing, but I promise, it most certainly is. You can substitute chicken for pork, both would be terrific, but the sauce is the star. It's so easy and perfect for fall.




Pork Chops with Mustard-Maple Pan Sauce

adapted from Bon Appetit Magazine
Serves 4

4 Pork Loin Chops (boneless)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp plus 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp plus 1 tsp grainy mustard
3 tbsp maple syrup
1 cup low-salt chicken broth
1 tbsp unsalted butter

Heat the oven to 350. Season chops with salt and pepper. In a large oven-proof skillet, brown the chops in olive oil over medium-high heat on both sides. Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook uncovered for 15-20 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk together the dijon mustard, grainy mustard, maple syrup and broth in separate skillet. Boil the mixture until reduced by half. Add the butter and transfer the chops to the sauce skillet. Continue to cook in the sauce until done. Serve over bitter wilted greens.

1 comment: