Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Three C's - Curried Caramelized Cauliflower


Tonight's dinner consisted of the following:

1 large bowl air popped popcorn topped with a tiny bit of lemon juice and olive oil (people say that's weird, I say they don't appreciate acidity in their food)
1 small bowl curried caramelized cauliflower
1 vodka gimlet (ok, maybe 2)

And THAT my friends, is all I had the energy for. Even my trusty air popper seems to be giving up on me. Halfway through a batch it sputters and dies, only to reignite itself five minutes later to finish the job. Poor, dear and trusted Target bought air popper, I am so devoted to you, I don't want to have to replace you! Popcorn is an almost nightly tradition, er, addiction.

Curry seems to be playing an integral part in my life these days. Whatever can that mean? Ilsa. Are you paying attention to this one? Do you recognize it? I've recreated it for you in all it's glory. Well, actually, "all it's glory" would mean adding approximately half a pound of butter to this recipe, so you could either say I've made it healthier, or ruined it. Your call.

If you really want to go nuts, add some sliced shallots to your baking sheet when you toss it in the oven. Heaven.

So with, or without the butter (or the shallots (damn you closed corner store!)). I present:


Curried Caramelized Cauliflower

1 head cauliflower, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp curry powder
2 tsp sea salt

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Toss the cauliflower in a bowl with olive oil, salt and curry. Set on a rimmed baking sheet and bake of 10 minutes. At that point, stir and turn the pieces. Cook for 10 minutes more until the cauliflower is browned.

See how easy that was? Goodnight.

Wait. I just realized that if you forgo the butter, it's another vegan recipe. Wow. Again, how about that? It's like I don't even miss meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment