Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Arugula, Prosciutto and Black Garlic Pizza


I have many favorite restaurants. I'd be hard-pressed to choose if you asked me to pick just one, but more often than not, if I'm eating out (and if I can afford it) I can be found at my favorite Oakland spot, Pizzaiolo. There has never been a single item on the menu that I have not basically drooled over. I look at everything and think, WANT! So difficult to choose! It is a Sophie's Choice of menu's. From the appetizers, to the salads to the second course, the pizzas and desserts....and did I mention the cocktails? The impeccable wine list? The comfortable yet stunning atmosphere, and the fantastic Heath dishware? Oh! And the outdoor patio where they show movies during the summer, and the bocce ball court! Oh my.

What to do when you can't afford a dinner out at Pizzaiolo? You try your best to recreate your favorite at home (without the aid of the brick oven). My favorite? The Arugula and Speck pizza. Blistered and steaming, right out of the oven. Mmmmm....it's to die for.

I trotted home from Trader Joe's armed with a few choice ingredients. Arugula, Proscuitto (couldn't find speck, but it's basically a thinly sliced ham) pizza dough, some gorgeous Dirty Girl dry farmed tomatoes, fresh mozzerella and a red onion. Also, it was the perfect chance to use the black garlic Beth had sent me as a gift. Black garlic can be used just like regular garlic. I simply thinly sliced it and made it one of the toppings.

I rolled the pizza dough (too lazy to make it myself, thanks TJ's!) out with a tiny bit of flour, let it rest for a bit. Rolled it flat and spread some olive oil, herbs and garlic on top. I cooked it at 450 for about 10 minutes, and then took it out to add some toppings. 10 minutes more in the oven and it was set. I took it out, topped it with arugula and devoured it. Almost as good as Pizzaiolo....well, ok, not quite. But as close as it's going to come in my little studio.



Arugula, Prosciutto and Black Garlic Pizza

1 bag Trader Joe's Pizza Dough (or be ambitious and make your own!)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves minced garlic
1/4 tsp dry basil
1/4 tsp dry oregano
1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
Kosher Salt

2 cloves black garlic, thinly sliced
Prosciutto
2 small tomatoes, thinly sliced
fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced into rounds
2 cups arugula for topping


Preheat the oven to 450. Remove the pizza dough and let rest for 10 minutes. Roll out with a bit of flour. Spread the olive oil, herbs, garlic, salt and red onion on top of the pizza dough. Place in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove and top with black garlic, tomatoes, mozzarella and prosciutto. Put back into the oven for 10 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the cheese is just beginning to brown.

Once the pizza is done, finish by topping with the arugula.

Pizza topping preference depends on the person, so add or delete according to taste. This is a particularly good combo though...especially with the black garlic, so unexpected!


3 comments:

  1. I like that your pizza kind of looks like a fish. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt is jealous of that arugula...all we have is iceburg and hearts of romaine if we're lucky...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then it is as I feared. The Midwest lack of green syndrome! No arugula at TJ's?

    ReplyDelete