Wednesday, September 2, 2009

All Packed...Almost - Moroccan Lamb Meatballs


So I'm procrastinating. Just a tad. I should be packing my bag for Portland OR. It's halfway packed at least...ok, maybe 1/3 packed. Not an arduous task, by any means, it's just so HOT out! I'm dying for a cool breeze or a fan in the corner. Anything to cool down my apartment. But I'll be in cool weather soon enough, if the weather report for Portland is any indication. Rain, of course. Or as Oregonian's call it, "Oregon Sunshine."

Which means I have to get on a plane. Again. And I for one, am not a fan of flying. Luckily I'll have a seatmate to keep me company and calm my nerves. I hope he doesn't mind an iron grip on his arm during takeoff, turbulence and landing...honestly, I'm getting nervous just thinking about it.

So let's change the subject. It was hot as meatballs out, yet that's exactly what I wanted. Delicious meatballs. Lamb meatballs to be exact. My idea of comfort food. To be eaten in the backyard with friends and a cool breeze blowing through. This is only my second foray into balls of meat, and I have to say, they were delicious. I hesitated only a minute wondering if they would go with the tomato sauce. I needn't have worried, it was the perfect combination. Meatballs are wonderfully easy, quick and comforting. A good way to calm the nerves before a trip, eh?






Ben is America's Next Top Meatball Model



Moroccan Lamb Meatballs
adapted from Patricia Wells
makes 15-20

1 lb ground lamb
1 small onion, finely diced
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp paprika
1/4 cup mint leaves, finely chopped
Salt and Pepper
2 tbsp olive oil

Mix lamb, onion, spices and mint until the mixture just comes together. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Roll the meatballs into balls about the size of a ping pong ball. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over high to medium-high heat and sear the meatballs until brown on all sides. At this point, add the meatballs to a simmering tomato sauce if doing the classic spaghetti and meatballs. If you're skipping the sauce, turn the heat down and cook the meatballs in the skillet until cooked all the way through.




No comments:

Post a Comment