Thursday, August 6, 2009

A Pickle is a Pickle is a.... - Refrigerator Pickles


I have literally been living off these things for the last few days. Well...maybe not literally. There was the exception of that insanely delicious roast chicken with a side of mashed potatoes (my favorite) and then there was a chopped salad, and, ok ok, I admit it, strawberry hand pies that I brought in today for my co-workers (now THAT is a recipe for another time) best breakfast EVER!

But mostly, I've been eating Refrigerator Pickles. When you gotta have a pickle, you gotta have a pickle. And I needed a pickle. Thing is, I didn't have any. What I did have was an over-abundance of cucumbers. Obviously something needed to be done.

But pickling sounded like such a lengthy process. I then remembered hearing about making refrigerator pickles. A quick end to the mean. Naturally, I had to try it. Plus, I just kinda love the name.

And now, I'm an addict. I keep sneaking into the fridge, a bit pointless really as I live alone without so much as a cat to witness my sneaky behavior. I keep telling myself "just one more!" and low and behold, I've then eaten 7! So buyer beware, this recipe may cause an unhealthy pickle obsession.

Come to think of it...I've always been slightly pickle obsessed. It runs in the family. As a kid, my sisters introduced me to chocolate dipped pickles. I know, I know, it sounds disgusting, you reel cringe and shiver at the thought! But, actually, it's delicious! Who woulda thought? Sweet and sour and salty with a satisfying crunch. My friends all thought I was nuts, until they tried it, and then they had to admit, it wasn't half bad.

But (and I'm sure you're thankful for this) this is not a recipe for chocolate pickles (if you really want to try them I'm sure you can figure it out on your own). This is your basic slightly sweet pickle recipe. Easily adaptable to be less sweet and to add dill or whatever you like. And most importantly, ready in just a few hours. It's supposed to be 8 hours, but I couldn't wait and snuck a taste after 2, crunch, but great!

Refrigerator Pickles

2 lbs persian or english cucumbers
1 large shallot, thinly sliced
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup white vinegar
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp mustard seed
1/2 tsp turmeric

Slice the cucumbers about 1/2 inch thick. Set into a large jar with the sliced shallots. Pour the vinegar into a large bowl and stir in the sugar until dissolved. Add the spices. Pour the vinegar mixture over the cucumbers and shallots. Seal the jar with an air tight lid and refrigerate for 8 hours (or less if you, like me, just can't wait). Pickles will keep up to 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment