Sunday, August 30, 2009

Cupcakes...not muffins - The Best Blueberry Muffins


I'm sort of a savory breakfast kind of girl. Forget the waffles and pancakes, for the most part, I'm all about the eggs and bacon. Normally, I skip right over the muffins and scones and head straight for the toast. In fact, until very recently I shunned muffins altogether. I loved cupcakes. Hated muffins. Weird? Maybe. I don't really know why, to tell you the truth. Perhaps it was the consistency. Whatever it was, my distaste for muffins was well-known amongst my friends. So I can't really explain my sudden urge the other morning for a warm blueberry muffin right out of the oven, I just knew I had to have one. I'd never made muffins before, so I did some sleuthing for the best recipe I could find. Lo and behold, the New York Times happened to have an article in the archives from 1987 that featured what they promised to be, the best blueberry muffin around.

So of course, I had to try it.

And guess what? I loved it! I even made a second batch to bring into work. The co-worker stamp of approval is extremely important when it comes to my recipe testing. This one got a big thumbs up. It was light, not to sweet, just a hint of salt and lemon. So perfect right out of the oven. I think I might be a muffin convert...maybe...as long as I stick to this recipe anyway. But I must admit, I'm curious. Any fantastic muffin recipes anyone has to share? Send 'em on!



Blueberry Muffins
adapted from the New York Times Jordan Marsh Recipe
makes 12 muffins

1/2 cup butter
1 1/4 cups sugar plus 3 teaspoons
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup whole milk
2 cups blueberries, washed, drained
2 tsp lemon zest
1 tbsp lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 375. Beat the butter and 1 1/4 cups sugar until light. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Next, sift together the flour, salt and baking powder, and add to the butter mixture alternately with the milk. Crush 1/2 cup blueberries, lemon zest and juice with a fork, and mix into the batter. Fold in the remaining whole berries.

Grease 12 large muffin cups, and fill with batter. Sprinkle the 3 teaspoons sugar over the tops of the muffins, and bake for 30 minutes. Cool another 30 minutes before removing. Store, uncovered overnight, or the muffins will be too moist the second day.

2 comments:

  1. They are completely different. Perhaps you've never noticed the variations.

    ReplyDelete