Monday, July 13, 2009

So Fast - Kaffir Lime Gin & Tonic's

Lately, more and more, I feel a kind of panic to remember everything. I'm crushed when others forget; where we were, what we said and did, what it was we ate and heard. I tell myself, I have to be the one to remember it all, because if these things are forgotten, it's as if it never happened, and I'll exist just a little bit less. Disappearing little by little everyday. So I burn the places and details into my memory, willing myself to remember it all. I'm a map, comprised of the people, places and things I love.

Because it moves so fast. Time seems to speed immeasurably as we grow older. It's a breathless, frenzied weight to hold onto it all.

I wonder how other people handle these thoughts. Do they struggle to hold on and remember? Do they keep physical reminders? Do they return again and again to the places they hold dear in a kind of gravitational pull? I always say that the old places feel somewhat haunted by the events of the past. It's such a bittersweet feeling. I wonder if it feels better or worse to not remember at all?

I'm thankful there are so many good memories to hold onto, and for the friends who hold onto them as well. I don't want to lose any of them.



Kaffir Lime Gin & Tonics (in honor of Ilsa's 30th)

For the Kaffir Lime Symple Syrup:

1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups water
7 kaffir lime leaves, sliced into thin strips
1/2 cup lime juice

Boil the syrup ingredients together, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Boil for 10 minutes, then turn the heat down and simmer for 10 minutes more. The syrup will be very fragrent. Remove from heat and strain into a glass container. Put the mixture into the refrigerator to cool

For the Gin & Tonics

3 ounces gin
5 ounces tonic
2 tbsp kaffir lime symple syrup
1 slice lime
2 mint leaves

Pour over ice and serve.

1 comment:

  1. these were the perfect summer birthday drink. thanks ed!

    ReplyDelete