Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Hold Time - Raspberry Thyme Smash


My music habits have been decidedly repetitive as of late. I alternate throughout the day between the Dark Was the Night album (if you like things that are good then you will enjoy this album) Neko Case's Middle Cyclone, and M. Ward's Hold Time (the aforementioned current soundtrack to my life.)

Some of those I care for are quite sick of M. Ward on repeat, but some, some request another round of it! Oh what a thrill it is to hear the words "More M. Ward!" from your friends around a campfire! And luckily, the drive home from camping was solo, so I was able to sing along at the top of my lungs to my hearts content. What I did before this album came around, I cannot tell. It's a mystery.

In other news, this week is so far filled with birthdays, cheese and kombucha making and the start of the outdoor movie season. More to come on all. In the meantime, I am formally requesting camping invitations from all my friends. If you plan to camp within the next few months, I shall be an excellent companion! I come with homemade kombucha, marshmallows and an unparalleled sense of direction. I am not one to get lost. My inner compass is almost infallible. I may, however, have to borrow a tent...

In the meantime:

Raspberry Thyme Smash
from Bon Appetit, July 2008
serves 1

2 fresh thyme sprigs, divided
7 fresh raspberries, divided
ice cubes
1/4 cup Hendricks Gin (or your choice)
2 tbsp simple syrup
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
(I added a splash of club soda, which can be added or omitted as you wish)

For the syrup-
stir 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water in a small saucepan over low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil, cool and chill.

Remove the leaves from 1 thyme sprig. Place in the cocktail shaker with raspberries, mash with a muddler or wooden spoon. Fill the cocktail shaker with ice and add gin, syrup and ice cubes. Cover and shake until cold. Strain into glass. Thread the raspberry onto the remaining sprig of thyme, place on the rim of the glass. Serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment